Monday, July 19, 2010

Bread Life




I wanted to do a quick post about what I spend my time doing when I'm not making art or dancing to bad pop music. Most of that precious "extra time" is spent in Candler, North Carolina making bread and pastries at Farm & Sparrow bakery. If you count my initial stint pouring coffee at a bakery counter then I can say that I've been a baker for about eight years now and that I still REALLY, really enjoy it. Most of what you see here is made by entirely by hand (the bread doughs spend about 6-10 minutes in a very gentle, diving arm mixer, that's IT)and baked in a wood-fired brick oven. I am lucky and honored to work with basic life elements like water, grain and fire. Sometimes i like to pretend i'm a monk or a old peasant lady when I'm working, it just kinda lends itself to that sort of daydream.

No comments:

Post a Comment